The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is an Asian country the has been inhabited for thousands of years. Here are some interesting facts about Afghanistan that you may not know!
Interesting Facts About Afghanistan
- 99% of the Afghan population are Muslims. Only one Jewish man lives in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan has over 90,000 police. However, many are corrupt. Nearly 20% of them test positive to illegal drugs and they often demand bribes from people and businesses.
- The two most commonly spoken languages in Afghanistan are Persian (also called Dari) and Pashto.
- Very few people in Afghanistan (around 1.5% of the population) have internet access.
- There are many natural resources in Afghanistan that are yet to be mined. These include gold, silver, copper, zinc, iron ore, emeralds, uranium, salt, sulfur and coal. The US Pentagon believes that these minerals could be worth as much as US$1 trillion.
- Afghan rugs are very popular around the world.
- Afghanistan is known for growing some of the best melons, grapes, apricots, pomegranates, dried fruit and nuts in the world.
- Due to non-stop wars in the country for about 30 years, there are over 1 million handicapped or disabled people in the country.
- Like Americans, Afghans drive on the right hand side of the road.
- Afghanistan has very hot summers and very cold winters.
Want to learn more about Afghanistan? See our post ‘what is the capital of Afghanistan?’