Armenia (officially the Republic of Armenia) was the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as its state religion (in the early 4th century). Here are some more interesting facts about Armenia that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Armenia
- About 10% of the population live below the international poverty line. This means they earn less that US$1.25 per day.
- Armenia is a ‘landlocked’ country. It is bordered by Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iran and Nakhchivan.
- Wrestling, weightlifting, judo, chess and boxing are the most popular sports in Armenia.
- In Armenia, it is traditional for the groom and his family to pay for the wedding.
- Jazz music is very popular in Armenia.
- Armenians have their own language and alphabet. The alphabet was invented in 405 AD. 96% of the population speak Armenia and about 75% Russian.
- Copper, zinc, gold and lead are mined and produced in Armenia.
- Mount Ararat is the highest mountain in Armenia. According to the Bible, this is where Noah’s Ark came to rest after the flood waters receded.
- Armenians drive on the right hand side of the road.
- The total Armenia population (worldwide) is estimated to be 11 million. However, only 3 million Armenians actually live in Armenia! 8 million live in other countries. Russia, the United States, France, Turkey and Lebanon have the highest populations of Armenians living outside Armenia.
Other Interesting Facts:
Love my posts? Follow me on Twitter!