Canada is the world’s second largest country in terms of total area. Here are some interesting facts about Canada that you might not know!
Interesting Facts About Canada
- English and French are the two official languages of Canada.
- Europeans first arrived in Canada around 1000 AD. The first colony failed and the area was not explored further until John Cabot explored the coast for England. That was in 1497.
- Canada refused to participate in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
- Canada and the US share the world’s longest undefended border.
- Canada is the world’s largest producer zinc and uranium. They also export a lot of gold, nickel, aluminum and lead.
- The economic crisis of 2008 plunged Canada into recession.
- 77% of the Canadian population are Christians.
- The two official national sports are ice hockey (in winter) and lacrosse (in summer). Ice hockey is also the most played sport in Canada.
- The literacy rate in Canada is over 99%.
- The five largest ethnic groups in Canada are English (21%), French (15.8%), Scottish (15.2%), Irish (13.9%) and German (10.2%).
- The federal government has the sole responsibility for making criminal law. Therefore, what is illegal is the same throughout all of Canada. This differs from many countries that have different criminal law in each state (such as the United States and Australia).
- Vancouver (along with Zurich- which is located in Switzerland) has the highest quality of life of any city in the world.
Other Interesting Facts: