Denmark is a large peninsula country in Northern Europe. It is boarded to the south by Germany and has borders on both the Baltic and North Sea. Denmark also consists of a collection of islands which lie off the peninsula of Jutland. It is a constitutional monarchy and has a parliamentary system of Government. The capital city of Denmark is Copenhagen and the main language spoken in Denmark is Danish. It is a relatively small country and occupies an area of 43,094 square kilometers.
Facts about Denmark
- The Capital Copenhagen is not located on the Peninsula of Jutland, but on the largest of the Danish Islands Zealand.
- There are 443 named Islands in the Danish archipelago and over 1,000 that are unnamed.
- Many of the main islands are connected via bridges, but some can only be accessed via small aircraft and ferries.
- The Country of Greenland and the Faroe Islands are part of the Kingdom of Denmark
- Denmark controls the approach to the Baltic Sea
- Denmark is a founding member of NATO and the OECD
- Denmark is a very flat country with their highest point being Møllehøj, at 170.86 metres (560.56 ft)
- In winter Denmark has very short days with the sun rising at 9:00am and setting again at 4:30pm
- In summer Denmark has long days with the sun rising at 4:00am and setting at 10:00pm
- In Denmark the longest and shortest days of the year are celebrated. The shortest day is celebrated on Christmas Eve and the longest day is celebrated on Midsummer Day.
- Denmark is very environment conscious and Copenhagen has been recognized as one of the most environmentally friendly cities on Earth.
- In 2010 Denmark was voted the happiest country on earth for the second time
- The currency of Demark is the Danish Kroner.
- The name of the Danish flag, the Dannebrog, means ‘the flag of the Danes’ or ‘the red flag’
- Denmark has the following natural resources: petroleum, natural gas, fish, salt, limestone, chalk, stone, gravel and sand
- The population of Denmark is 5,529,888
- Princess Mary of Denmark is originally from Tasmania, Australia