Latvia (officially the Republic of Latvia) is a country located in Northern Europe. It is bordered by Estonia, Lithuania, Russia and Belarus. This post will tell you some interesting facts about Latvia that you probably don’t know.
Interesting Facts About Latvia
- Latvia is a democratic republic.
- The official, and most used, language of Latvia is Latvian. Russian is the second most common language used.
- Christianity is the largest religion is Latvia, although only 7% of the population regularly attend church services.
- Unfortunately, Latvia has one of the highest suicide rates in the world (ranked 8th out of 101 countries by the World Health Organization).
- Latvia has been a member of the United Nations since September 17, 1991. In 2004 the country joined the European Union and NATO.
- The Latvian anthem is titled ‘God Bless Latvia’.
- The Soviets occupied Latvia between 1944 and 1945.
- In Latvia you drive on the right hand side of the road.
- Latvia can be very humid throughout the summer months but extremely cold in winter.
- Over 30,000 different Latvian folk songs have been created over the last few thousands years.
- Before the economic crisis of 2008, Latvia had one of the fastest growing economies in Europe.
- Latvia plans to introduce the euro as the official currency in 2012.
Other Interesting Facts: