Libya (officially called the Great Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriya) is an African country that borders Egypt, Sudan, Chad, Niger, Algeria and Tunisia. Here are some interesting facts about Libya that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Libya
- The Libyan flag is green. There is no other color, design or pattern on the flag.
- Libya has close relations with Italy, France and Greece.
- The government control the courts and there is no right to a fair public trial in Libya.
- The Libyan Desert covers most of Libya. It is very arid and, in some places, it only rains once ever 10 or more years!
- Poor soil and hot climatic conditions force Libya to import most of their food.
- Almost one third of the population do not have access to safe drinking water.
- Arabic is the official language of Libya and is spoken by 80% of the population.
- Libya has the highest literacy rate of any country in North Africa (82% of the population can read and write).
- Libya has a free education system for everyone.
- 97% of the population are Muslims. 2% are Christians.
- There is no railway system in Libya.
- It is illegal to consume alcohol in Libya.
- Libyans drive on the right side of the road.
Other Interesting Facts:
Like my posts? Follow me on Twitter.