Sweden (officially the Kingdom of Sweden) is a country located in Northern Europe. This post will tell you some interesting and fun facts about Sweden.
Interesting Facts About Sweden
- The official language of Sweden is Swedish.
- Sweden remained neutral throughout World War I and World War II.
- Sweden has the most number of McDonald’s per person of anywhere in Europe- although it is half the number of McDonald’s per person in the United States.
- Sweden exports a lot of timber, iron ore and hydro power.
- The government has proposed a total ban on fossil fuel driven vehicles by 2025.
- The average Swedish worker loses 24 days per year due to illness.
- The unemployment rate (as at the end of 2008) was at 6.4%.
- About 13% of the Swedish population were born in a country other than Sweden.
- Swedish women have their first baby at an average age of 30.
- There are 10 nuclear reactors in Sweden.
- About three-quarters of mothers in Sweden work.
- There are about 100,000 Roman Catholics in Sweden.
- Losec, an ulcer medicine, was invented in Sweden. It was the world’s best selling drug in the 1990′s.
- ABBA is probably the best known Swedish band.
- The two most popular sports in Sweden are soccer (football) and ice hockey. The national ice hockey team won the gold medal at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games.
Thanks to Eupedia for some of the facts.