I love Batman movies, so I decided to make a list of all the Batman movies with a small description of each movie.
- Batman (1966) was the first Batman movie. Adam West played Batman and Burt Ward played Robin. This film featured four villains teaming up to defeat Batman and Robin once and for all! Cesar Romero (the Joker), Frank Gorshin (the Riddler), Burgess Meredith (the Penguin) and Lee Meriwether (Catwoman) played the villains. The film was well received by critics and was a moderate box office success.
- Batman (1989) was the second Batman movie. Michael Keaton played Batman and Jack Nicholson played Jack Napier, who became the Joker. In this movie, Gotham City is overrun by the mob and a corrupt police force (sounds a little like The Dark Knight…) and Batman must confront his tragic past in order to bring the Joker, and the mob, down. The film was fairly well received by critics and was a moderate box office success.
- Batman Returns (1992) was the second in the new series of films. Micheal Keaton returned as Batman, Michelle Pfeiffer played Catwoman and Danny DeVito played The Penguin. Christopher Welkin played a corrupt businessman who is convinced by the Penguin to help him become mayor. Together, they try and destroy Batman’s reputation. The Penguin also kidnaps children from the wealthiest families in Gotham. Batman must work to save the children and clear his name. Reviews of the film were good and the film was a commercial success.
- Batman Forever (1995) featured Val Kilmer as Batman and Chris O’Donnell as Robin. Harvey Dent (played by Tommy Lee Jones) falsely believes that Batman is responsible for the accident that made him ‘two-faced’. With The Riddler (Jim Carrey) they plan to expose Batman’s true identity. Batman Forever was a financial success and received mostly positive critical reception
- Batman and Robin (1997) featured George Clooney as Batman and Chris O’Donnell as Robin. Uma Thurman plays Poison Ivy, a woman capable of controlling and killing botanical life. Arnold Schwarzenegger played Mr Freeze, another villain. This movie was almost universally panned by critics and is often listed as one of the worst superhero movies ever made. However, it was a modest box office success, although the bad press probably negatively affected the final box office result.
- Batman Begins (2005) ‘reset’ the entire Batman universe. The old movies were no longer followed. This was the first movie to feature Christian Bale as Batman. This movie shows how and why Bruce Wayne became Batman. Batman Begins centers on Batman’s desire to bring the mob bosses who control Gotham to justice. The movie was very well received by critics and grossed well at the box office.
- The Dark Knight (2008) again featured Christian Bale as Batman. Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart) and the Joker (Heath Ledger) were the main villains in the movie. The movie features Batman and Harvey Dent working to try and bring the mob bosses down. There is also an ongoing battle between Batman and the Joker. The Dark Knight has received almost universally positive reviews and is the fifth highest grossing film of all time worldwide (at just over a billion dollars). It is the third highest grossing film ever in the United States. Congratulations to Heath Ledger for winning the Oscar (best supporting actor) for his great performance as the Joker!
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) stars Christian Bale as Batman. The villains in the movie include Bane (Tom Hardy), Ra’s Al Ghul (Liam Neeson) and Catwoman (Anne Hathaway). The film follows on from The Dark Knight and will most likely be the last in this series.