Pink Dolphins (also called Pink River Dolphins, Amazon River Dolphins, Nay Dolphins and Bufeo Dolphins) are a species of dolphin that live in freshwater. But what do pink dolphins eat? This post will answer that question and also tell you a few interesting facts about pink dolphins.
What Do Pink Dolphins Eat?
Pink dolphins like to eat crabs, turtles and fish. Catfish are their favorite species of fish to eat. Pink dolphins have 25-30 teeth to help them catch their prey. As crabs and turtles usually live at the bottom of the river, pink dolphins spend a lot of time swimming near the bottom of the river on the lookout for food.
Interesting Facts About Pink Dolphins
- The brain of a pink dolphin is 40% bigger than a human brain.
- Pink dolphins are an endangered species due to overfishing, pollution, habitat loss and boat trafficking.
- Baby dolphins are called calves. Calves weigh a little over 1 kg (2.2 lb) when they are born.
- Amazon pink dolphins weigh between 84 and 161 kg (185 to 355 lb) when fully grown.
- Pink dolphins may swim up to 30 km (18.5 miles) in one day. Most of it is spent looking for food.
Like our posts? Follow us on Twitter!
Thanks to Dolphins World for some of the info!