Amazon.com Inc. is America’s largest online retailer. It was launched online in 1995. But who founded Amazon? This post will answer that question and also tell you some interesting facts about Amazon.
Who Founded Amazon?
Amazon was founded in 1994 by its creator Jeff P. Bezos. He launched the website in July, 1995. He named it after the world’s largest river (the Amazon River). Bezos wanted Amazon to be the largest bookstore in the world. He knew that an online bookstore could offer more books than ‘brick-and-mortar’ bookstores. To boost profits from the site, Amazon soon started selling videos, music, video games, electronics, food, toys and more.
Interesting Facts About Amazon
- Time magazine named Bezos ‘Person of the Year’ in 1999 to recognize his success in popularizing online shopping.
- Amazon once tried to compete with eBay by launching ‘Amazon.com Auctions’. It was not successful as very few people used the service.
- Amazon has now gone into the film production business. It is funding the film ‘The Stolen Child’ with 20th Century Fox.
- Amazon bought the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) in April, 1998.
- Amazon made its first profit in 2001 ($5 million). Since then, it has remained profitable every year.
Like my posts? Follow me on Twitter!