Mashed potatoes are really very easy to make. This post will tell you my favorite mashed potato recipe and give you a few hints on how to make your mashed potatoes extra special!
How do you make mashed potatoes?
Recipe: Simple, Creamy, Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients (to serve 4):
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 grams) of potatoes. The best potatoes are either Russets or Yukon gold. Any potatoes with medium to high starch should work.
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tablespoons of cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Peel the potatoes and then cut them into quarters (length-wise).
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and add about half a teaspoon of salt.
- Cover the potatoes with water and bring the water to a boil.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes. Check to see when they are done by sticking a fork through them. If the fork goes all the way through it is properly cooked!
- Warm the cream and melt the butter together. You can do this in a saucepan or in the microwave (cooking times will vary- just wait until the butter has melted)
- Drain the water from the potatoes. Some people say to leave some of the water during the mashing but I find it works best without the water.
- Put the potatoes into a bowl and add the cream and butter. Use a potato masher to mash those potatoes! If you don’t have a masher you can use a fork (although this can take a bit of time!)
- When the potatoes are well mashed (there shouldn’t be any ‘lumps’), add milk and beat the potatoes with a spoon until the potatoes are soft and creamy. Be careful not to over-beat as the potatoes can get gluey.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can add some more herbs and spices. Garlic, onions and rosemary are nice additions.
- Don’t be afraid to add some cheese or bacon bits. They can really add a lot to the dish.
- Experiment a little! Try cooking them with the peel and see if it tastes better. Why not try sour cream? Keep modifying the recipe until you find something you really like!
Have any other hints? Let me know in comments!
Thanks to Simply Recipes for the recipe- I love it!