Today I am going to take you through a recipe of an American favorite- New York Strip Steak. This is my personal favorite recipe to deliver the tastiest steak ever. The post will take you through cooking on a barbeque although you can do it on a stove top. Do leave a comment if you give this recipe a go and let me know how it turned out!
New York Strip Steak Recipe: How to Cook a New York Strip Steak
- 12 ounces of Beer
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar. Alternatively, just use red wine.
- 1 clove of crushed Garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dry Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of Pepper
Choosing the Right Steak
Make sure you choose a ‘USDA Prime’ steak for the best quality meat. ‘Choice’ and ‘Select’ grade meat are lower quality meats with less flavor. However, they might be a good option if you are on a budget. My top marinade should make them taste better!
- At least six hours before you start cooking (for optimum flavor) combine all the ingredients above in a bowl. Note the ingredients should be sufficient to marinate 2 steaks. Just double or triple the ingredients if you are using more steaks.
- Add the steaks to the bowl and make sure they are completely covered in the liquid for complete marination.
- An hour before cooking, take the steaks out of the marinade and let them rest and come to room temperature. They will cook more evenly if they dry out.
- 15 minutes before the cooking starts, put you barbeque (or barbecue as it is sometimes spelled!) on high heat. You want the hottest surface to reach about 500-600 degrees.
- When the barbeque is nice and hot, place the steaks on the hottest part of the grill. Flip after 5 minutes when the outside is dark. Cook the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Take the steaks off the hottest part of the barbeque but let them continue cooking for a few minutes on a warm part of the barbeque. Leave them cook until the steak is done to your requirements. If you like medium-rare steaks you may not want to let it continue cooking for long. Cooking time also varies depending on the thickness of the steak.
- Leave for 5 minutes before serving. You may want to put a bit of butter on top which melts into the steak and adds some flavor.
That’s it! Enjoy some delicious steaks. If you tried this recipe let me know if it worked for you!