Rock candy (sometimes called rock sugar) is one of the oldest forms of candy. This post will tell you how to make rock candy in six fairly easy steps.
How to Make Rock Candy
- 4 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Food coloring and food flavoring (optional)
Other Items You Need:
- Wooden spoon
- Small glass jar (make sure it is clean first)
- Cotton string, about two-thirds the height of the glass jar
- A weight to hang on the string (a screw or galvanized washer will do the job)
- Waxed paper
Recipe for Rock Candy
- Put 2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Use medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar to the water. Make sure the sugar completely dissolves in the water. Keep stirring with the wooden spoon until the solution becomes clear and goes to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and pour the solution into the jar, covering it with a small piece of wax paper (not the lid of the jar).
- Tie the weight to one end of the string and the pencil to the other side. Dip the string into the sugar mixture, remove it and then lay it on a piece of wax paper. Straighten the string and let it dry for 2-3 days.
- When the string has dried, gently place it in the solution and let it sit for about one week. You should check daily to see how the crystals are growing but make sure you do not disturb the jar!
- After one week you should see many rock candy crystals formed on the string!
Please note that you can create colored and flavored rock candy by putting food coloring and flavoring into the mixture.
Other ‘How to’ Guides:
Thanks to http://www.exploratorium.edu for the great recipe!
Like my posts? Follow me on Twitter!