Angola (officially known as the Republic of Angola) is an African country bordered by Namibia, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Zambia. Here are some interesting facts about Angola that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Angola
- The official motto of Angola is ‘Virtus Unita Fortior’- a Latin phrase that means ‘Virtue is stronger when united’.
- By total size, Angola is the 23rd largest country in the world. It is about twice the size of Texas.
- Angola was a Portuguese territory from the 16th century until 1975, when independence was declared. After independence, Angola went through a long period of civil war (1975-2002). Millions of lives were lost during the fighting.
- Angola has one of the fastest growing economies in the world due to the increasing production of oil in the country.
- Portuguese is the most widely spoken language in Angola.
- Christianity is the largest religion in Angola. One study states that almost 94% of the population are Christian while another states that 53% are Christian.
- About 20,000 Chinese people live in Angola.
- In 2005, Angola was listed as one of the to 10 most corrupt counties in the world by Transparency International.
- Just under 70% of the population are able to read and write.
Other Interesting Facts:
Love my posts? Follow me on Twitter!