Bolivia is a South American country that is bordered by Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile and Peru. Here are some interesting and fun facts about Bolivia.
Interesting Facts About Bolivia
- The largest deposit of salt on the planet is in Bolivia.
- Bolivia is one of the wettest countries in the world. The annual rainfall is over 5000mm.
- The world’s largest butterfly sanctuary is in Bolivia.
- The main language spoken in Bolivia is Spanish.
- Soybeans are one of the main exports from Bolivia.
- About 78% of the population is Roman Catholic.
- There is a very small Jewish population in Bolivia.
- The Bolivian military recruit men as young as 14. 40% of the military forces are between the ages of 14 and 18.
- Soccer (football) is the most popular sport in Bolivia.
- The population is increasing about 1.5% per year.
- The Spanish conquered Bolivia in 1533. The Bolivian people started a war in 1809 as they fought for independence. Independence was proclaimed on August 6, 1825- 16 years after the fighting began.
- The official motto of Bolivia is a Spanish phrase which means “unity is strength”.
- The Bolivian flag is red, yellow and green.
- The literacy rate is 87%- similar to Brazil but below the South American average.
- The Bolivian judicial system has long been full of corruption. Revisions to the constitution in 1994 did help this but corruption still remains.
Thanks to this site for a couple of the facts.