Brazil (officially called the Federative Republic of Brazil) is a country in South America. Here are some interesting facts about Brazil.
Interesting Facts About Brazil
- Almost 200 million people live in Brazil. This makes it the fifth largest country in the world in terms of population.
- The official language of Brazil is Portuguese.
- Brazil declared independence from Portugal on September 7, 1822.
- Most of the country has a tropical climate.
- Scientists have estimated that there may be up to four million species of plants and animals in Brazil. More and more species are discovered everyday.
- There are 26 states in Brazil.
- Brazil has the world’s tenth largest economy. Some of the major exports are aircraft, coffee, cars, iron ore, corned beef, shoes, steel, orange juice and textiles.
- 0.5% of the population (about 1 million people) who live in Brazil are Asian.
- Sao Paulo is the largest city in Brazil.
- About 88% of the population is literate.
- Brazil is the largest Catholic nation in the world.
- Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Brazil. The national side has won the FIFA World Cup five times- in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002. Brazil is hosting the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- Basketball, car racing, martial arts, volleyball, swimming and tennis are all fairly popular in parts of Brazil.
- The highest court in Brazil is the Supreme Federal Tribunal.
- Voting in elections is compulsory for everyone aged between 18 and 65.
Other Great Facts: