The People’s Republic of China (commonly just called China) is the most populous country in the world. Here are some interesting facts about China.
Interesting Facts About China
- 1.29 billion people live in China. This is about one fifth of the world’s population!
- There is some evidence that a type of ‘football’ was played in China in ancient times.
- The most popular sports in China are martial arts, table tennis, swimming, snooker, football (soccer), badminton and basketball.
- The Chinese government only allows religious freedom to state-approved religions. Many Christians in China are persecuted and have to meet in secret.
- The country’s average life expectancy is 73.18 years, up from just 35 years in 1949. However, there are a number of health problems in the country. Millions of people smoke and teen obesity levels are rising. There is also a lot of pollution throughout China.
- The literacy rate (in 2002) was 90.9%.
- Rice has been grown in China since about 5000 BC.
- China has over 800,000 metric tons of tea!
- The largest city in China is Shanghai.
- Many people do not own cars as the government has placed heavy taxes on cars. There are also lots of road tolls.
- China plans to build a Chinese Space Station in the very near future.
- The government has promised to use more renewable sources of energy in the future. They plan to have 30% of their energy needs in 2050 supplied by renewable power sources.
- The Chinese Army, called the People’s Liberation Army, is the largest military in the world. They have over 2.3 million troops!
- 400 out of 600 Chinese cities are experiencing a water shortage.
Other Interesting Facts: