Costa Rica (officially known as the Republic of Costa Rica) is a country in Central America. Here are some interesting and fun facts about Costa Rica!
Interesting Facts About Costa Rica
- Many people in Costa Rica give coffee to babies (in their bottles) and young children.
- Costa Rica aims to be the first ‘carbon neutral’ country by 2021.
- Cigarettes are very cheap in Costa Rica (under US$1.50 per pack)
- According to the Costa Rican Constitution, Roman Catholicism is the official state religion. However, freedom of religion is guaranteed by the Constitution.
- Costa Ricans call speed bumps son muertos (Spanish for ‘dead persons’).
- Costa Rica is a Spanish word meaning ‘rich coast’.
- The literacy rate in Costa Rica is an impressive 97%.
- Many fast food restaurants (such as McDonald’s and Burger King) do home deliveries in Costa Rica.
- Costa Rica declared independence from Spain on September 15, 1821. Spain did not recognize their independence until May 10, 1850.
- The Constitution provides that Costa Rica have no military force.
- If you have to go to the immigration office in Costa Rica you shouldn’t wear shorts. It is considered disrespectful to wear shorts and they will probably turn you away.
- National Parks and Environmental Protection Areas make up 25% (one quarter) of the total land in Costa Rica.
- Spanish is the main language spoken in Costa Rica
Other Interesting Facts:
Thanks to ‘The Real Costa Rica‘ for some of the facts!