The Republic of Cuba is home to more than 11 million people. This post will tell you some interesting facts about Cuba that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Cuba
- On October 12, 1492, Christopher Columbus landed in Cuba and claimed the island for the Kingdom of Spain.
- Tourists in Cuba mainly come from Canada and Europe.
- Over three quarters of Cuba’s food is imported from other countries.
- Large oil deposits have been found in the North Cuba Basin.
- Cuban food is fusion of Spanish and Caribbean foods.
- People in Cuba have a slightly higher life expectancy that people in the United States.
- Cuba has the high doctor-to-population ratio of any country in the world. They have even sent many doctors to other countries that do not have enough doctors!
- A parent who teaches their child any ideas that are contrary to communism can go to jail for up to 3 years.
- Over the last 50 years, man hundred thousands of Cubans have emigrated to the United States, Spain, Canada, the United Kingdom and Mexico.
- Officially, Cuba is an atheist state. However, many people in Cuba are Catholics.
- Cuba has a ‘dry season’ between November to April and a ‘wet season’ between May and October.
- The warm temperatures of the Caribbean sea make Cuba especially vulnerable to hurricanes, especially common in September and October.
- Cuba is famous around the world for making top quality cigars.
- Very few people in Cuba are granted permission to use the Internet. Those that do have their activity monitored closely. People who connect to the Internet without permission could receive up to 5 years in jail.
- Cuba is the 105th largest country in the world by total area.
Other Interesting Facts