Germany (officially called the Federal Republic of Germany) is a country in central Europe. This post will tell you some interesting facts about Germany that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Germany
- Germany exports more goods than any other country in the world.
- Over 98% of the population own cell phones.
- The official currency is the euro.
- The German government is committed to lowering carbon emissions by using renewable energy and supporting sustainable development.
- Gummy bears were invented by a German man- Hans Riegel!
- Germany has a low fertility rate. Each woman has, on average, 1.41 children.
- About 20% of the country’s population are foreign or of foreign decent.
- Christianity is the largest religion in Germany. 64% of the population identify themselves as Christians. However, a poll conducted in 2005 revealed only 47% of the population believed that God exists.
- German is the official language of Germany and is the most widely spoken language.
- There are over 5,000 brands of beer to choose from in Germany- and 500 brands of mineral water!
- German universities charge anywhere from 50-500 euros per semester.
- About 90% of all German homes have cable or satellite television.
- Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Germany.
- Germany finished fifth in the 2008 Beijing Olympic medal tally.
Other Interesting Facts:
Thanks to this site for a few of the facts.