Hong Kong is a city-state that is located in Asia on the south coast of China. It is surrounded by the Pearl River Delta and the South China Sea. Hong Kong has a population of approximately 7,061,200 people and has a total land area of 426 sq mi (1,104 km2). It is one of the two special administrative regions of the People’s Republic of China, and it was previously a crown colony of the United Kingdom. Hong Kong means “fragrant harbour” and is a good approximation of the Cantonese name for the city.
Interesting facts about Hong Kong
- Hong Kong is the 4th most densely populated area in the world.
- The official languages of Hong Kong are Chinese and English. The official spoken languages are Cantonese and English and the Chinese and English alphabet are both used in written work.
- From 1842 until the Pacific War in 1941 Hong Kong was colonized and ruled by the British Empire. During the Pacific War Hong Kong was occupied by Japan. Once the war ended Hong Kong was again a British Colony until 1997 where control of Hong Kong was given back to China.
- Hong Kong is recognized as one of the world’s leading international financial centers. The currency of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Dollar, is the 8th most traded currency in the world.
- Less than 25% of the land area in Hong King is developed due to the hilly and steep terrain. Approximately 40% of the land is reserved and protected as parks and nature reserves.
- The highest mountain in Hong Kong is Tai Mo Shan which is 3,140 ft (957 m) above sea level.
- Hong Kong also has the highest public transport traveler rate, with over 90% of people using public transport.
- Hong Kong includes Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, the New Territories and approximately 200 small islands that surround it.
- Whilst Hong Kong is part of the People’s Republic of China it has its own separate constitution and government and has a great deal of autonomy from Mainland China.
- Hong Kong’s international Airport is on a small island north of Lantau and is connected to Hong Kong Island via a suspension bridge which is one of the longest in the world.
- Hong Kong experiences four seasons during the year. During the winter Hong Kong has an average temperature of 16oC (61oF), but it remains fairly sunny. During the summer months the average temperature in Hong Kong is 28oC (83oF). Summers are usually hot and humid with thunderstorms and the chance of a typhoon (hurricane).
- Hong Kong is often described as a city-state where “east meets west” as it has been strongly influenced by its English and Chinese heritage. Many Chinese traditions are still practiced very seriously such as Fung shui and the absences of the number 4 in building numbers and floors. This is because the word for 4 in Cantonese is similar sounding to the word for die and is considered to be unlucky.