Italy is a European country surrounded by France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Vatican City and San Marino. Here are some interesting and fun facts about Italy.
Interesting Facts About Italy
- Italy is officially known as the Italian Republic.
- Italy is shaped like a boot.
- An average Italian eats half a pound of bread per day. They also drink about 26 gallons of wine a year.
- Italy is home to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was built on unstable soil which makes it lean.
- Italy has the lowest birthrate of any European country.
- Italians drive on the right hand side of the road.
- Italy spent $US33.1 billion on the military in 2008.
- 87.8% of Italians identify themselves as Roman Catholic. However, only about 37% are active members of the church.
- Italy is the fifth most popular tourist destination in the world.
- The most popular sport in Italy is soccer (football). The national team won the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
- Cricket is slowly gaining in popularity in Italy. They are currently ranked 27th in the world.
- Over 600,000 Romanian immigrants live in Italy.
- Opera was created in Italy.
- Italy holds the record for the country with the most elevators (lifts).
- The official currency is the euro. Before 2002, it was the Italian lira.
- Rome is the capital, and largest, city in Italy.
Other Interesting Facts: