Mexico (officially the United Mexican States) is a country in North America. Here are some interesting and fun facts about Mexico.
Interesting Facts About Mexico
- There are over 200,000 different species of plants and animals in Mexico- which is why it is classified as a mega-diverse country.
- Violent crimes are a serious problem in Mexico due to drug-trafficking and gang violence. The homicide rate is 11 in 100,000 people.
- Just under 4% of people are unemployed in Mexico, but over 20% of people are underemployed (in very low paid jobs).
- Mexico receives over 20 million tourists every year!
- About one million United States citizens live in Mexico.
- Almost 90% of the population identify themselves as Roman Catholics. There are about 45,000 Jews in Mexico.
- Mexico’s most popular sport is soccer (football). It is believed that Cornish miners introduced the sport in the late 1800′s.
- Bullfighting is very popular in Mexico.
- The literacy rate in Mexico is almost 98%.
- Swine flu (also called the H1N1 virus) originated in Mexico.
- Rodolfo Neri Vela was the first Mexican in space.
- One of the best known Mexican athletes is golfer Lorena Ochoa.
- Chocolate, tacos, enchiladas, burritos and tamales all came from Mexico.
- Spanish is the main language spoken in Mexico (by 97% of the population).
- There are about 236 television stations in Mexico.
Other Interesting Facts: