Monaco (officially known as the Principality of Monaco) is a small European country. Here are some very interesting facts about Monaco that you probably don’t know.
Interesting Facts About Monaco
- Monaco is the second smallest country in the world.
- It takes only 56 minutes for the average person to walk the width of the entire country!
- Monaco is known as a ‘city-state’. This means that it is a country with all the population living in one city.
- Only 33,000 people live in Monaco. Most people who live in Monaco are wealthy foreigners as Monaco does not tax individuals.
- The Monaco Gran Prix has been held in Monaco since 1929. It takes six weeks to set up the circuit and three weeks to remove it!
- The official currency is the euro. It was introduced in 2002.
- The official religion is Roman Catholicism. The constitution provides for freedom of other religions.
- There are about 1,500 Jewish people living in Monaco.
- The flag is identical to the Indonesian flag.
- Monaco has no navy or air force. They have a small military with just over 100 people.
- Monaco has the highest number of police per person than any country (just over 500 police for 33,000 people).
- Monaco is the world’s smallest French speaking country.
- France are responsible for defending Monaco if it is attacked by another nation.