Pakistan (officially known as the Islamic Republic of Pakistan) is a country in South Asia. Here are some interesting facts about Pakistan that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Pakistan
- Pakistan has the second largest Muslim population in the world. It is second to Indonesia.
- About one fifth of the population live below the international poverty line (US$1.25 per day).
- More than 60 languages are spoken in Pakistan. English is the official language of Pakistan and is used in government.
- 96% of the population are Muslims. Just over 1.5% are Christians.
- Pakistan has the sixth largest military force in the world.
- Pakistan have cold, dry winters and hot, wet summers.
- Despite once being called the world’s most dangerous country in a British magazine (The Economist), the tourism industry is growing in Pakistan.
- The official and national sport of Pakistan is field hockey. Cricket, however, is the most popular sport. The national side won the ICC World Cup in 1992.
- Pakistan qualified for the Golf World Cup for the first time in 2009.
- One goal of the current government is to see the literacy rate reach at least 85% over the next few years.
- About 1.7 million refugees from Afghanistan live in Pakistan.
- Pakistan became an Islamic republic in 1956.
- In 1971, there was a civil war in East Pakistan that led to the creation of Bangladesh.
Other Interesting Facts: