Wales is a country that is a part of the United Kingdom. It is bordered by England, the Atlantic Sea and the Irish Sea. Here are some interesting facts about Wales.
Interesting Facts About Wales
- English and Welsh are the two official languages of Wales. English is the most widely spoken language.
- Just over 3 million people live in Wales.
- The official currency of Wales is the British Pound.
- Until the 1980’s, Wales was one of the main exporters of coal.
- The soil quality in Wales is very poor. It is difficult to grow crops in Wales so they focus on raising livestock. Wales is well known for sheep farming.
- Rugby union and football (soccer) are the two most popular sports in Wales.
- Tom Pryce was one of two Welsh drivers to compete in Formula One Racing. He finished on the podium twice during his career.
- Just over 70% of the Welsh population identify themselves as Christians. The Roman Catholic Church is the largest denomination.
- Road signs in Wales are usually written in both Welsh and English.
- About 2% of the Welsh population are of Asian decent.
- There are a lot of shipwrecks off the Welsh coast due to the perilous seas near Cardiff (the capital of Wales).
- The official motto is (translated to English): “Wales forever”.
Other Interesting Facts: