Superman is a well-know fictional character that originated from comic books, but is now also seen in movies, television shows and video games. The character was created by American writer Jerry Siegel and Canadian-born American artist Joe Shuster in 1932. Superman is widely regarded as an American cultural icon. His iconic red and blue suit and alter ego Clark Kent are recognized worldwide. Due to Superman’s popularity and fame many actors have played the legendary superhero in television series and movies. Below is a list of actors that have played Superman.
- Henry Cavill is set to be the most recent incarnation of this popular super hero having landed the role of Superman in the upcoming movie Man of Steel set to open in 2013.
- Brandon Routh played Superman in the 2006 movie Superman Returns. Stephen Bender starred in the same movie as the young Clark Kent.
- Tom Welling played a teenaged Clark Kent/ Superman in the long running television series Smallville which ran from 2001 to 2011.
- Dean Cain played the famous superhero from 1993 to 1997 in the television series Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
- Ron Ely had the privilege of being cast in the role of Superboy in a two part episode of the TV show Superboy in 1991.
- The first Television series of Superboy, titled The Adventures of Superboy aired in 1961 with actor Johnny Rockwell playing superboy. The subsequent television series Superboy ran from 1988 until 1992. Two separate actors played Superboy on that series during that time. John Haymes Newton starred in the show from 1988-1989. After Newton, Gerard Christopher took on the role and continued until 1992.
- Christopher Reeves is perhaps the most well known actor to play the character of Superman. This is due to the fact that he was casted as Superman in four movies Superman (1978), Superman II (1980), Superman III (1983), Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987). Jeff East starred as a young Clark Kent in the movie Superman.
- David Wilson was the star of the Television special it’s A Bird, It’s A Plane, It’s Superman TV special in 1975.
- The movie Superman and the Mole Men played in cinemas in 1951 with George Reeves as the super hero. He later took on the role again in the television series Adventures of Superman from 1952 until 1958. In the same television series Joel Nestler played the teenage aged version of Clark Kent.
- Superman (1948) and Atom Man vs. Superman (1950) were the first television series made starring the comic book character Superman. Kirk Alyn played the super hero in both these productions.
Various voice actors have played the role of Superman in animated series. The first to do this was Bud Collyer. He was the voice of Superman on the original 1940’s radio program. He was also the voice of Superman in the first animated TV series from 1941 to 1943.
Other actors who played the voice of superman include:
- Mark Harmon – The voice of Superman of in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- Tim Daly – The voice of Superman/Clark Kent in Superman: the Animated Series
- George Newbern – The voices of Superman from the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series
- James Denton – Voice of Superman in All Star Superman animated movie
- Danny Dark – Voice of Superman for twelve years, from 1973 to 1985, in each of the various incarnations of Hanna-Barbera’s animated series Super Friends.