On a low carb diet? Well, this list of low carb foods will help you to know what you should and shouldn’t eat.
List of low carb vegetables:
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Bok choy
List of high carb vegetables (avoid these!):
- Potatoes (avoid these at all costs- they have an extremely high GI)
You should also avoid nearly all fruits if on a low carb diet as fruit have high levels of sugars. Small amounts of lemon and lime are alright and you can also have some berries (expect strawberries).
List of other low carb foods:
- Meat. On the Atkins diet (which is a type of low carb diet), you can eat as much meat as you want! This includes red meat, fish and any kind of seafood. Try and find lean meats if possible.
- Seeds. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and flax seeds are particularly low in carbohydrates.
- Hard and cream cheese (low fat varieties)
- Unsweetened soy milk.
- Hard boiled eggs. See post ‘How to hard boil an egg‘
- Low carb snack bars (Atkins make some good ones that are very filling)
Foods to avoid!
- Bread (unless you can get low carb, low GI varieties)
- Alcohol (not a food, but you should still avoid it)
- Sugary sweets
Suggestions for making some tasty low carb snacks and meals:
- Make some salads with meat, eggs, cheese and salad vegetables
- When you have friends over, make a platter of meat, cheese and vegetables (but remember, no carrots!)
- Put some yogurt on your low carb cereal
Know of any other low carb foods or foods to avoid? Drop a comment and let us know!
List of Batman Movies– My favorite character: The Joker!
List of James Bond Movies– not one box office failure!