Boron is a chemical element which has been used for thousands of years. This post will take you some of the common uses of boron.
Uses of Boron
- Much boron is made into sodium tetraborate which is used to insulate fiberglass. It is also used in many cleaning products- detergents and bleaches.
- Most boron is used to produce glass and ceramics. Borosilicate glass has a fantastic resistance to thermal shock (sudden changes in temperature which causes glass to break).
- Boron filaments are used as light but high-strength materials for aerospace structures. They are also used to produce some golf clubs and fishing rods.
- Boron carbide shields can be used as control rods in nuclear reactors. This stops a nuclear reactor getting out of control. Boron carbide is also used in bulletproof vests and in tank armor.
- Metal borides are very strong and are often coated onto a substance to increase its hardness.
- Boron is a part of a neodynium magnet, the strongest type of permanent magnet. These magnets are used in MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) machines, CD and DVD players, cell phones, timer switches and more.
- Boric acid is sometimes used as an insecticide against ants, fleas and cockroaches.
- Sodium borate can be used as a fire retardant in plastics and rubber.