Safflower oil is produced from the oil of the safflower seed. There are two different types of safflower that produce oil with different qualities. The oil has a similar nutritional value to sunflower oil and is both flavorless and colorless. It is produced in many countries for its variety of uses.
Uses of safflower oil
- Safflower oil is popular in cooking because the oil is flavorless. This means it can be used in cakes and other sweet cooking without affecting the flavor. It is also commonly used in commercial salad dressing. It is also taken as a nutritional supplement in alternative medicine.
- The oil is also used, in combination with other vegetable oils, in the production of margarine.
- The second type of safflower oil is not often used in cooking, but it is used as an ingredient in white paint instead of linseed oil because it is colorless.
- Safflower oil is also widely used in cosmetics because it is odorless, colorless and doesn’t block pores. Due to the high content of essential fatty acids it is also considered to be a good moisturizing product. It also contains high levels of vitamin E.
Uses of safflower flowers
The flowers of the safflower plant also have a variety of uses.
- They can be used in cooking as a cheap substitute to the more expensive saffron.
- The flowers are also used as a natural fabric dye.
- They are also used as an ingredient in some carbonated drinks.