Ants are social insects that form colonies that can consist of millions of ants. But what do ants eat? This post will answer that question, and then look at a few interesting facts about ants.
What do ants eat?
Ants eat almost anything. They will eat most fruits, vegetables and plants they can find. They often eat smaller ants (of different species) and eat the meat off of dead insects and other small creatures. A few species of ants feed on fungus. These ants collect leaves which are placed in ‘fungal gardens’. The ants feed on the structures formed by the fungus.
Interesting Facts About Ants
- There are at least 12,000 different species of ants. Some people claim there are as many as 14,000 different species.
- Ants live in almost every country in the world. You won’t find them in Antarctica, however. It’s too cold!
- When ants forage for their food, they will travel up to 200m (700ft) from their nests.
- The seeds of many tropical plants are spread by ants.
- The eggs of 2 species of ants in Mexico are sold as insect caviar. As the eggs are rare, they sell for about $US40 per pound!
- Some flies prey on ants.
Other Animal Topics: