Reindeer, also known as caribou, are animals that live in cold climates. But what do reindeer eat? This post will answer that very question and also tell you a few interesting facts about reindeer.
What Do Reindeer Eat?
During winter months reindeer love to eat lichens, especially reindeer moss. Lichens are organisms where fungus and green algae or bacteria grow together (called a symbiotic relationship). Reindeer also enjoy eating the leaves of willow trees and birch trees. The will sometimes feed on bird eggs, lemmings (small rodents) and arctic char (a type of fish). In late summer reindeer like to eat mushrooms.
Interesting Facts About Reindeer
- Reindeer can run at up to 50mph (80km/h)
- Polar bears prey on reindeer of all ages. However, they are more likely to take baby reindeer or sick reindeer as they are easier to catch.
- Reindeer meatballs are sold in many Scandinavian countries. You can buy reindeer sausages in Alaska and Finland.
- The name of Santa Claus’ reindeer are Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder and Blixem (try saying all those names ten times fast).
- The population of reindeer is on the decline. This is believed to be due to global warming, which is warming up the cold regions reindeer like to live.
Other Animal Topics: