Snails can be found in many different environments. They can live in the desert or on the ocean floor. But what do snails eat? This post will answer that question, and then look at some interesting facts about snails.
What do Snails Eat?
Snails eat lots of different foods. Snails that live on land are herbivorous (which means they don’t eat any meat). They like to eat leaves, stems, bark, fruit, vegetables and algae. They often eat plants in people’s gardens and crops grown for food. Snails that live in the water are omnivorous (eat both plants and other animals). They eat plankton, algae, plants and microscopic organisms that live in the water. So now you know what snails eat! Now, let’s look at some facts about snails.
Facts About Snails
- Land snails have lungs and aquatic snails have gills.
- Most snails live for 5 to 10 years (depending on the species). However, some snails have been known to live up to 30 years in the wild!
- Some snails hibernate during the cold winter.
- As they are slow moving creatures, they are often a symbol for laziness.
- The phrase ‘working at a snail’s pace’ is used to describe a very slow process.
- Snails have been eaten by different cultures for thousands of years!
Other Animal Posts: