Most people who own fish feed them dry fish food. But what is in fish food? This post will answer that question!
What is in Fish Food?
All fish food must contain protein, carbohydrates, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Here are a list of common fish food ingredients that contain these important nutrients.
Common Fish Food Ingredients
- Fish meal- a source of protein. Fish meal is either harvested from specific fish (herring, menhaden and pollack) or produced from the waste made when tuna and salmon are processed for human consumption.
- Shrimp meal is added to many fish foods as it contains many pigments that enhances the color of the fish. It also contains a good amount of protein. Shrimp meal is made from shrimps that are unfit for human consumption.
- Squid meal is made from parts of the squid. It is an excellent source of protein and also contains important vitamins, minerals and cholesterol.
- Brine shrimp are added as a source of protein and color enhancement. Brine shrimp also acts as a laxative.
- Soybean meal is a great source of protein for fish and is often used instead of fish meal.
- Spirulina is a blue-green plant that is rich in nearly everything a fish needs. Spirulina contains protein, essential vitamins, color enhancing substances, important minerals, fatty acids and amino acids.
- Whole wheat is added as a source of carbohydrates and is also a good source of roughage that some fish (like Goldfish) need. It is also a source of Vitamin E which helps fish grow and enhances their color.