Squirrels are small rodents which mainly eat nuts, seeds, fruit and fungi. But where do squirrels live? This post will answer that question, and also look at some interesting facts about squirrels.
Where do squirrels live?
Squirrels live in most parts of the world. They are found in Europe, Asia, Africa and America. There are no squirrels in Australia. Squirrels live in woodland, as they build nests (called ‘dreys’) in trees. The dreys are built out of twigs and leaves, with fur and feathers lining the inside for comfort. Squirrels build them very high in trees so predators can’t reach them.
Facts about squirrels
- In some parts of the United States and the United Kingdom squirrels are a favorite meat to eat! However, the American Heart Association has found that squirrel meat is high in cholesterol.
- Squirrels have been known to eat insects, eggs, birds and snakes when they get extremely hungry.
- Some people keep squirrels as pets. They need to be selected at a young age and hand raised properly. They can even be taught to do tricks.
- Flying squirrels are nocturnal.
- Squirrels should only eat unsalted peanuts. Salt can cause their heart rate to increase. This can lead to an early death.
Other Animal Posts: