The Sony Corporation is one of the leading manufacturers of electronics, video game technology and information technology products. This post will tell you who founded Sony Corporation and then look at a few interesting facts about Sony.
Who Founded Sony Corporation
In 1945, just after World War II, Masaru Ibuka started a radio shop in Tokyo, Japan. In 1946 he was joined by Akio Morita and they founded a company called (when translated to English) Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation. This company built Japan’s first tape recorder. The company changed its name to Sony in the early 1950′s and started selling portable radio transistors. So now you know that Masaru Ibuka and Akio Morita founded Sony in 1946.
Interesting Facts About Sony
- The company name comes from the Latin word sonus (which means sound).
- In 2000, Sony created a fake movie critic who gave favorable reviews to all films released by Sony subsidiary Columbia Pictures!
- The Sony headquarters are located in Tokyo, Japan- where the company was first founded!
- Sony have recently created ‘Green TV’s’ which consume much less power than other flat-screen televisions.
- Sony laptops in some brands of laptops (such as Dell, Apple, Toshiba and Acer) have overheated and exploded.
- The Sony Walkman was the world’s first portable music player.