Have a Question?

If you have a question you can search for the answer below!

Why Is Chocolate Bad For Dogs

There are many human foods that are not suitable for pets. One of the best known of these is chocolate, which you may have heard is dangerous for dogs to eat. If you have ever wondered why people say this, keep reading to find out.

Why is chocolate toxic for dogs?
Chocolate is so bad for dogs that many veterinarians consider it to be a poison. This is because chocolate contains theobromine, also known as theobromide or xantheose, which is a central nervous system stimulant. In dogs this substance is metabolized much more slowly than humans and as little as 50 grams (1.75 ounces) of chocolate for a small dog, 200 grams (7 ounces) for an average sized dog, can cause poisoning.

Theobromine poisoning in dogs causes stomach upset (diarrhea, vomiting), excessive urination (leading to dehydration), hyperactivity and restlessness, dangerously slow or fast heart beat, seizures and even death. This type of poisoning is treatable if it is caught early enough. If you suspect this type of poisoning is affecting your pet, it is important to treat the situation as an emergency. If you are unsure your local veterinarian will be able to give you more information.

Did you know?
The half life of theobromine in a dog is 17.5 hours. This means that it takes a long time to leave their system.

Generally speaking, dark chocolate contains more theobromine than milk chocolate.

Cats are even more susceptible to this type of poisoning, but they are less likely to eat sweet substances because they are unable to taste the sweetness of chocolate.

Related Articles

Why do Dogs Eat Grass

How Many Words Can A Dog Understand

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You can use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>