Beetles are insects which are found in almost every country in the world. There are probably over 5 million species of beetles worldwide. The exact number is not known as not all of them have been discovered yet! This post will tell you what beetles eat and then look at a few interesting and fun facts about beetles.
What Do Beetles Eat
Every different species of beetle eats different things. Most beetles that live on leaves also feed on them. Some species, such as weevils, only eat very specific plants. Most beetles that feed on leaves will eat just about any plant. Many beetles are predatory, which means they prey on smaller animals. They generally eat any small insect, spider, bird or crustacean that they can find. A few species only prey on very specific animals. A few species of beetles eat poo, dead animals and fungi.
Interesting Facts About Beetles
- The study of beetles is called coleopterology.
- A few species of beetles live in water.
- Beetles reproduce by laying eggs. Some species lay eggs in leaves which curl inwards to protect the eggs. A female may lay thousands of eggs during her lifetime.
- Beetles use their antennae to smell. That is how they locate food.
- Some beetles can camouflage- blending into their environment to prevent other animals from spotting them.