Egypt (officially known as the Arab Republic of Egypt) is a country situated in North Africa, with a small land bridge to Western Asia. Here are some interesting facts about Egypt that you may not know!
Interesting Facts About Egypt
- Most of the population live near the Nile River as this is the only ground where food can be grown.
- The whole country is about as large as the combined size of Texas and California.
- Apart from the Nile River, most of the land in Egypt is desert.
- Egypt receives very little rainfall except in winter months.
- The threat of sea level rise due to global warming could threaten the many cities on the coast of Egypt.
- The New Testament had been translated into Egyptian sometime between 100 and 200 AD.
- 80-90% of the population are Muslim and most of the remaining population are Christians.
- There are about 200 Jews in Egypt!
- Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Egypt. The national Egyptian team has won the Africa Cup of Nations a record six times.
- Egypt’s most successful Olympic Games was in London in 1948. They won 2 gold medals, 2 silver medals and 1 bronze medal.
- Egypt and Israel are considered the leading military powers of the Middle East.