Uganda (officially the Republic of Uganda) is a country located in East Africa. It is bordered by 5 countries- Kenya, Sudan, Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Tanzania. Here are some interesting facts about Uganda that you probably don’t know!
Interesting Facts About Uganda
- About half the population live on less that US$1.25 per day (the international poverty line).
- The official motto of Uganda is ‘For God and My Country’.
- In Uganda you drive on the left hand side of the road.
- The official currency is the Ugandan shilling.
- Southern Uganda has lots of rainfall all year round. While Northern Uganda also has plenty of rain every year, there is a dry season between November and February.
- Over 80% of workers are employed in the agricultural industry.
- Uganda’s largest export is coffee.
- There are large reserves of crude oil and natural gas in Uganda that are still mostly untapped.
- English and Swahili are the two official languages of Uganda.
- 84% of the Ugandan population are Christians. The Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Church of Uganda have the largest number of members.
- Soccer (football) is the most popular sport in Uganda. However, cricket is becoming increasingly popular with the national side finishing runner-up in Division 3 of the World Cricket League in 2009.
Other Interesting Facts: