Oxygen is an important chemical element that is a colorless, odorless and tasteless. Here are some of the common uses of oxygen.
Uses of Oxygen
- Obviously, oxygen is important for human respiration. Therefore, oxygen therapy is used for people who have trouble breathing due to some medical condition (such as emphysema or pneumonia).
- Oxygen gas is poisonous to bacteria that causes gangrene. Therefore, it is used to kill them.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is treated using oxygen gas.
- Near pure oxygen is used in space suits so that astronauts can breath. Scuba tanks also contain oxygen, although it usually mixed with regular air.
- Oxygen tanks are also found in submarines and airplanes (for emergencies).
- Oxygen is used as a step in the production of antifreeze and polyester polymers. The polymers are then used to make plastic and fabrics.
- Rockets use liquid oxygen to burn fuel and generate lift.
- Most commercially produced oxygen is used to convert iron ore into steel.
- Scientists use the ratio of two isotopes of oxygen (oxygen-18 and oxygen-16) in skeletons to work out what the climate was like thousands of years ago.
- Pure oxygen is used to ensure the complete combustion of different chemicals.
- Oxygen is used to treat water and cut and weld metals.