eBay is an online auction site where people buy and sell their own goods and services. But who invented eBay? This post will answer that question, and then look at some interesting facts about eBay.
Who Invented eBay?
eBay was founded by an Iranian computer programmer named Pierre Omidyar. He became an instant billionaire in 1998 when eBay first went public. Omidyar founded eBay in 1995, but it did not go public until September 21, 1998. So now you know who invented eBay. Now let’s look at some interesting facts about the Internet’s most popular auction site.
Facts About eBay
- The very first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer. It sold for $14.83 to a collector of broken laser pointers!
- eBay bought PayPal on October 14, 2002.
- Tobacco and alcohol are two things that cannot be sold on eBay. See the full list of prohibited items here.
- eBay employs over 15,000 people.
- eBay’s official slogans are ‘what ever it is, you can get it on eBay’ and ‘shop victoriously’.
- eBay’s headquarters are located in San Jose, California (main headquarters) and Salt Lake City, Utah (alternate headquarters).
- It is a requirement to offer PayPal on all listings in Australia and the United Kingdom.
Other Great Inventions: